Thursday, December 11, 2008

My Trips to Dad’s Birthplace, China(中国)

I have been to China 7 times including dad’s hometown. I remember about 10 years ago, I wanted to see China, my ancestor’s home country. So I booked my first trip to China, on MATTA fair.

The first was The Silk Road. I did not know where to start, so I decided to start from the west. It’s started from Urumqi(乌鲁木齐) and ends in Xian(西安). But we departed from Chengdu Sichuan’s (成都,四川)airport for home. I can’t remember how many states we went but each day was a different state. So it should be about 8 to 9 states as it was a 12 days trip. Each state you can see the influence of the Arabs traders, that is the Islam religion. Some have more and some have less influence. Thru out the trip the most exciting part is the camel ride to the dessert sand dune, where you ski the sand hills. The most difficult part or most uncomfortable was the train ride to the next city thru out the night to cross the dessert. It was so dried. I had a bleeding nose the next morning when I tried to sneeze. I think most of us had, and water was running out especially the toilet. I don’t think I will go for another Silk Road tour again. If I do I will only visit Urumqi.

When we landed in Urumqi’s airport, I noticed besides the airport’s name in Chinese characters, it was also in Jawi. The announcement thru the intercom was announced in Mandarin (华语) and Russian language. I was like what language is that. Then the tour guide said, Urumqi is near to Russia’s border. Don’t think the place is very backward, to our surprised it’s very modern and clean compared to Kuala Lumpur.

I remember in a town (can’t remember which town) it was Mahgrid, you can see the Muslim leave their duty and run to the mosque for prayer once they hear the announcement thru the loud-speaker. Once it is finished they will run back to their work place.

This trip I saw the ending or the tail of The Great Wall of China (万里长城), here the step are smaller compared to The Great Wall of China in Beijing.

Those of you that want to see China should take this trip, The Silk Road. It is very different compare with east China. This trip is not meant for the old or those with high blood pressure.

Those days, digital camera was not invented so to post is to scan the photos, maybe later when I have time. Or digital camera was too expensive for me, should be too expensive for me.

Other part of China that I had been to is Beijing(北京). Here the only thing I find very special is The Great Wall of China(万里长城), others I find it interesting but not that special.

Next was Shanghai(上海). It is not solely Shanghai, the trip takes us to the neighbor town or state. I had been to this trip twice, once with my friend then with my mom. As mom had not been so I took her there.

Been here twice, I only find the Yellow Mountain (黄山) very breath taking. On the way up the scenery is exactly like the Chinese brush painting on mountains. It is so beautiful. When you are on top of the mountain, you can feel the freshness of the mountain air. Here every thing is man carried from the foot of the mountain to the top of the mountain. Pollution is kept to the minimum, hotel’s laundry are carried to the foot of the mountain for washing. Those that go to Shanghai trip should visit the Yellow Mountain, a beautiful place. It’s good to have strong legs, lots of climbing. If you don’t want to climb you can pay to be carried around.

Hainan Island(海南岛) and Shenzhen(深圳), I find nothing special, will not visit it again.

After so many trips to different part of China, I wanted to visit my dad’s hometown and see my aunties and uncle. Just wanted to see them, see how the province looks like. In 2007 last year, my dad’s friend was going back. Mom and me tagged along, as without his help locating my aunties and uncle will be difficult. My dad’s province is in Fujian (福建), a 4 hours drive from Xiamen (厦门).

My aunties and uncle are very old already. I am glad I get the chance to see them as I won’t know when my mom will want to go again. At least I had see them and called them aunties and uncle.

Houses in the province are much bigger than what we had in Malaysia. If you meet Chinese from China, when they said they are trying to build a house in their province. You should ask how big the house is. I enjoyed my stay there, but they keep calling us Malay.

Here are some pictures I had taken at the province.

No comments:

Post a Comment