Tuesday, December 23, 2008

My Trip to Vrndavana, India

How many of us have heard of Vrndavana, only those that are in Krsna Consciousness will know. Vrndavana is Krsna childhood place where he grows up, before he moved to Mathura.

Some would say it is a mythology but having been there, you can see it is not a mythology. All the ancient temple in the story book are still around, is a proof that it is not a mythology. Krsna pastime does exist.

To me Krsna is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, meaning GOD himself.

I remember when the aeroplane landed in New Delhi airport, that feeling in my heart, I am coming home. Home Sweet Home. It takes about 4 to 5 hours by taxi to reach Vrndavana.

We stayed at a rented room which is just next to gurudev’s temple, so it was very convenient. We were lucky to have an attached bathroom. This is a luxury in Vrndavana.

The first thing we did was got ourselves a stove, gas and distilled water. The market and shops were very interesting to me. All the vegetables sold there are organic. Where in Malaysia or any developed or developing country you find organic vegetable at such a cheap price, 2 rupee for 1 kg of spinach. Those vegetables that are in season are very cheap, even it is not in season it is still cheap compared to back home. We would go to the market 2 days once. Fruits from outside are very expensive only foreign will buy. Local find it too expensive. Local fruits are cheap. The interesting part is after so many years the whole place is still a vegetarian. You don’t see any shops or places selling meat.

As you walked or moved around the place, you don’t heard excused me in Hindi or Bengal. If you are blocking someone vice versa, you just said “RADHE RADHE”. I had to get used to it. I keep saying thank you, the landlord said no thank you, Radhe Radhe.

My first day at the market was quite an experience, a monkey urinated on me. The next trip a bird shit on my head. My god-sisters said it is auspicious. I guess I’ll take it as auspicious.

You have to be careful of all the monkeys there. Any shining thing they see they will just grab and run. So I will not wear my spectacle or any jewelry. If you buy fruits and vegetables make sure all are put in a bag that the monkeys cannot see. If they see, they will attack your goodies.

Ah! Yamuna River is slowly drying up. You can see all the temples that were built by her river side, have a place where you can play with her water. Now you can’t anymore as her river side is about 100 meters away now.

Went to Govardhana to see Govardhana Hill, Radha Kunda and many other temples and kund. Govardhana is quite different from Vrndavana.

I like Vrndavana it feels like home in the heart but the body especially the skin cannot take the weather there. After 2 days there my skin begins to show rashes. Tried putting lotion it did not helped. So I decided not to put any. Slowly the rashes begin to subside. After 2 weeks I had to leave the place, I know if I stayed longer, my skin will showed. I was having the same problem as my first trip to Mayapur, India.

I hope to return to Mayapur and Vrndavana again for my parikarma. Parikarma is important to me. Hope Krsna will let me fulfilled this desire.
.
I will not type much here as going there to experience is the best. Don’t have high expectation of the place like a modern city. It is not, but it is not entirely a village too. It’s like a small city. I did not take my digital camera along. The next time I’ll go I will take picture hopefully the monkeys will not grab my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment