Wednesday, November 12, 2008

A Job That Travel and Working From Home

Since joining this company, when I don't have any assignment, assignment is going to client's place to work on an IT job, I am based at home. While based at home, need to help out on helpdesk problems send from all over Asia Pacific countries that bought the software. Some would said it is great, don't have to hassle with others on the road every morning and evening when you work from home.

Right after a long assignment, it is great to be based at home. If the waiting time for the next assignment is not a long wait. To me a long wait would be anything more than 3 weeks. If the waiting time more than 3 weeks but enough helpdesk enquires it is still fine with me. While waiting there is nothing, with a laptop that does not have wireless given to me, it is a hassle going out. If my laptop have wireless, then I can go into any place that provide free wireless, I can download my email and work on it.

How much of application manual can you read? I can read all the application manual but it is just reading. After sometime it become boring as the push to read is not there, the aim to read the manual is also not there. So you plan going out with friends for lunch, but they are working and most of the time they will be telling you their working story. You listened but it will also get......... But during this time I get to spend lots of time with my sister which is also great. We would go shopping and lunch together but still not enough to occupy the time there. You go for class, but class have to be short as you don't know when you get called to go on the move. There is always the worries that you might not finished the course and waste the money.

I went for my mandarin class, as I am a banana. The course takes about a year to finish, it has 4 parts in it. I took 2 parts at the same time, finished the course within 4 months. When I finished I was glad I had finished but during the course the worry getting called for oversea assignment, then it would upset my class. Now that I have finished level 1 was thinking of going for level 2, the same thought will probe up. Have decided to do it on my own at home. People that are not in this situation will think it is so great when it bites you than you will know how boring it can be. You wake up, open the laptop nothing there, you do your own stuff and still....... AHHHHHH it is BORING, I am not going into retirement AHHHHHH! 闷 死 我 啊!

Yesterday a friend came back from the state. Took a day leave went out with her. It was great, it had been quite sometime I went shopping with a friend. I guess it was quite sometime I have seen her, normally would just send short email, talking face to face and catching up is anytime much much better than emailing.

This working from home, has its good and bad, the good part is you get to spend lots of time with family. But sometime would like to see others besides family members. The bad part of it, you are like cut out from others, the only link is thru the internet.

When I first took up this job I was very excited as I am travelling, but after sometime I noticed you get one thing but not the other thing. Some hobbies that you like you can't take it with you, courses that interest you also you can't register. When you travel you either make new friends or learn to be on your own. After sometimes you get feedup with the food on the flight and carrying your luggage in and out. I noticed new friend's friendship does not last too. I look around me I noticed the friends that I had, are all those old friends. The only good thing comes out of it, is that my relationship with my family member becomes better, I learned to appreciates than more.

I sometime tell myself I am going to look for a job that does not travel, but why am I still at this job. As I told my family member I will be responsible for whatever unhappiness, it is a path that I choose. I am no longer a child, I guess this a way for me to grow up. As this job takes me away from the comfort of home which I am so use to and took for granted too.

No comments:

Post a Comment