Saturday, November 15, 2008

Growing Up

Today had lunch with my friends. We chatted on a few topics. One of the topics was growing up.

There is this boy or man, person, left the comfort of home for greener pasture. When he first arrived, he would cook, clean for himself. After a few days, he started to miss home and ……. Sisters and mother always attend to his needs and wants. There is more but will not write.

This person also tells me to take care of him. His words make me jump, I told him off. I have to work and family too. You chose to leave home. You learn to take care of yourself. I walked away, I know if I had stayed my mouth would have more words coming out. While walking away in my mind Grow up boy.

We gossiped on this person.

Now that I am at home, Growing Up came into my mind. When you said had grow up, the person can look grow up but had his mind matured. I noticed many people, including myself too always said we are grown up. I looked back when did I really grow-up?

I grow-up in my late twenties and early thirties. Why so late, it is during this time, I saw building my career and planning my retirement fund is something I had to do so that I can be comfortable later. I went to Singapore spend a few days with my brother. He asked are you going to be a clerk thru out your working life. You are very good in programming why don’t you go start a career on it. He saw there was not much of a reaction from me. He said parents cannot take care of you for your whole life. First thing back in Kuala Lumpur you go get yourself register for night classes.

That’s what I did. I registered for a diploma course. I was very broke for a year, I make sure I scored distinction. I needed it to start this career as I was competing with younger graduates and starting late too. During this time it was the first recession I saw, my dad’s business had a slow down. Things were bad, for the first time I saw money was very important. My dad always said no worries I will always be there for you including financially. I saw nobody can be there for you only you yourself.

When I got my result, luck was at my side, within a few months I found myself a job as junior programmer in a bank. It was a tough 4 years for me. I had to travel to town and work do not finished at 6pm. As I wanted to walk the extra miles, I putted in more time in the office. All these extra time, I did not have time to attend my higher diploma so never had my degree. During that time, I always complained should not have listened to my brother. After 15 years, I looked back, I had to thank my brother. If not for him I would be an account clerk, and cannot afford the life style I have today.

Dad was very angry with me for spending lot of time in the office, he asked me to sleep in the office. He saw I was having a hard time and could not help. I wanted to learn the skill up quickly, I did not care what the bank paid me. After 4 years I joined the contract line. I was glad I put in the extra miles, I did not have a hard time. When my dad saw the hard work was paying off, he told me I should have let you out earlier. It is okay dad I still make it.

During my 10 years as an account clerk, it was 9 to 6. My mom would send and pick me up. I only spend on lunch. Sometime I go back for lunch. I hardly spend, was such a good girl. My needs and wants was not much, I was satisfied with what I had. I get small gifts from dad every now and then. Life was very comfortable and good, until recession hit.

Besides this there were other problems too that I had to face. Work was always not a problem but human was the problem. It is the human problems that really make me grow up open my eyes to the real world. I also saw why my dad tried to keep me by his side, he wanted to protect me.

Dad, I will continue to grow so that you can be proud of me

No comments:

Post a Comment