Friday, May 1, 2009

In Bangkok After 5 years

Had been in Bangkok for 2 weeks. It had been 5 years since my last assignment in Bangkok. The feeling this time around is quite different, more comfortable and less lost. Nothing much had changed. The only thing that change is the airport and apartment.

The new airport is big, I remember I had a hard time finding the transit gate on my last trip to India. My god brother and me spend about half an hour looking for the place. Luckily we had 2 hours to do it. The escalator was hard to find too. It is behind some beam that block it from my small eye view. This trip, checking out was different. Coming right out from the gate the custom is there and out from the custom the luggage belt is there. Had to wait about 10 minutes for them to display it on the screen. Who said our KLIA luggage delivery is so. You should try Bangkok's.

The last time stayed in Pantip, this round at Oakwood. Pantip, the apartment is much bigger, the bed is also much bigger, the kitchen, sofa. Oakwood has better lighting. I think Oakwood is ok but I miss going to Lumpini Park...did i get the spelling right. I can go there every Saturday and Sunday or a public holiday. It's about 5 to 10 minutes walk from the Pantip apartment.

With my little tan, the people think I am Thai, even in the airplane too. I guess I need to pick some Thai words.

This assignment is at another customer, there is a market next to it. Spend the afternoon walking thru the place. Many nice things to see and buy. I bought 6 Ben10 T-shirt for my nephews. I hope they like it. You get shoes, I finally bought one pair. Singlets.... lots to buy... I think my 10,000 bahts is not enough to last until my home trip. Now I had already spend almost all of it. Need to have enough to last until my home trip, need to pay a visit to the ATM machine.

The market here is so different from Malaysia. Here you get almost everything, you even have stalls selling books, branded bags and clothes. Oh! have you seen stalls in Malaysia selling those 5 inche high heels. Those classy kind. You get working clothes too. Just don't have to go to our Jusco or Parkson or ..... to get them.

Last weekend went to Siam Paragon, bought lot of Mama tom yum. My colleague was holding is all in her hand while I went to get the trolley. Everyone stare at her, giving her a funny look. What is this lady doing standing there holding 5 to 6 bags of instead noodles.

Today walked to the wet market with my colleage. A good walk about 20 to 30 minutes. We bought quite a lot especially me. I needed to fill my fridge with vegetables. On the way I saw this cute slipper with a puppy head on it, bought 2 pairs for my sister and myself.

It's mango season, had been eating mango everyday since I land myself in Bangkok. The mango here are good. The green and yellow are all good. Laichee is coming too. Longan too. The durian are here too. But I don't like Thai durian, no smell. Eating durian without that aroma is like not eating durian at all.

3 1/2 months to go before the assignment finishes, I am already missing my bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment